The long school holiday is a difficult time for some families with the absence of school dinners usually provided.
Following on from the success of the trial we operated last Summer, where we were able to provide food for families who find the long summer holiday with no ‘free school meals’ a particular challenge, we plan to extend the initiative this year.
In 2017 the trial was conducted in conjunction with Whitchurch Infants’ School and The Children’s Centre. This year we are opening up the opportunity to some fifteen schools located within our area of operation.
The offer will be to provide two ‘food-boxes’ in week 1 and week 4 of the holidays. The ‘box’ will contain sufficient food to feed the children for a three week period – i.e. in place of their school meal.
If you are able to assist us with donations selected from the list below, we would be most thankful.
School Holiday ‘Lunch Box’ Items
- Long life milk or powdered milk
- Pasta sauces
- Tinned meat products – ham, meatballs, chicken, Bolognese, chilli etc
- Tuna fish
- Tinned spaghetti
- Squash / fruit juice
- Individual fruit juices for packed lunch
- Sandwich fillers – meat/fish pastes, peanut butter, jam, spreads
- Cake – long life and seal wrapped
- Snack bars and chocolate biscuits
- Individual packs of crisps
Please leave items in your normal depository bin – at your church , TESCO or Sainsburys. This initiative has been supported by the local schools and Children’s Centre, Whitchurch Foodbank, and Churches Together.